Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Don't Care If I Die [BARCELONA]

The whole plan was ridiculous.

-2:10 Take a final exam in 5 minutes
-Sprint to the train station
-2:30 Catch the bus to Pisa
-3:40 Arrive at Pisa airport
-4:10 Catch a plane to Barcelona
-and if we somehow managed all that, party our asses off in Barcelona

There was no way this could have worked. Between professors showing up late, being totally out of shape, a bus that's never on time, and ridiculously long check-in and security lines...we missed our flight. But this wasn't before we gave it the good-ole college try. In the midst of our high speed adventure we found our selves sharing a taxi cab with two young Swedish men. They spoke pretty good English with a funny accent and pretty good Italian also [which saved our collective ass with the taxi driver]. They asked the taxi driver to get to Pisa's airport as fast as he could and we collectively agreed. That was until we were barreling down the highway at what had to be close to 120 miles per hour. One of my partners in [crime] travel, Kayte, let out a small worried 'wooo'. This is when one of the Sweeds, sitting next to her, smiles knowing she was intimidated by the speed and says what would be come the moto for the whole trip to Barcelona. "I don't care if I die" with his funny accent.

But despite our lack of fear of death, we still missed out flight out of Pisa. But there was no way we were going to let this stop us. We had already come so far, invested so much. What was another two hundred euro? [a question I wish I could answer differently now...this doesn't mean I would still go to Barcelona in a heart beat]. So we did, in fact, make it to Barcelona, Spain [just a little later than originally planned].












Let me start of the recap of this journey with this statement. When I first arrived in Europe, Florence was my favorite city [because I had not been anywhere else]. Then I went to Amsterdam and that definitly was my favorite city and then Munich barely passed it for number one. I can easily say that Barcelona, Spain is my favorite city which I visited in Europe. It is absolutely beautiful, both visiually and culturaly. Architecture, Art, live music on the streets, white sandy beaches, cheap beer, delicous Spanish and Mexican food, beautiful woman, all can be found in Barcelona.











And to make it even better [just when you thought it couldn't...it can], thanks to Nik and his wonderful father, we stayed all three nights of our trip to Barcelona in the Hotel Ritz. Hands down, the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in [in my entire life]. We were truly living in style. Plus there was an awesomely classy Jazz bar right across the street which put out great Mojitos.







So the next three days consisted of beach'n it up with some cold...

=Birra of the Blog=
There are very few things in this world better than an ice cold beer on the beach with the sun beating down and the sound of waves crashing in the background [my father will agree]. And other than drinking ice old beer on the hot, sunny beach, there's not much better than trying a new type of beer. I got to do both at the same time! Imagine the grin on my face. I can't say that Estrella Damm is my favorite beer, but combined with my memories of Barcelona its definitly up there. When in Barcelona, try this home-brewed beer just beause it cheap [60 cents a can] and you can drink it on the beach.

They also consisted off, sandcastels, handstands, refreshing dips in the Mediterrean Sea [by refreshing, I mean a little chilly], some spicy tacos and completely covered nachos, more cheap beer, mojitos, street music, mexican happy hours, and some bad [yet halarious] decisions. Two of which, against my better judgement, I will tell you about. The thing to keep in mind is "bad", in the sense of "bad" decisions, is all in the eye of the beholder. So you, being the "beholder", try and "behold" these two decisions with the lightest of hearts [see A Light Heart post below] and keep in mind that alcohol does funny things to your decisoin making skills.

"BAD" DECISION #1: From the moment I set eyes on it I knew exactly what had to be done. It was huge and beautiful and we were in the hotel Ritz for Christ's sake! So, we got boozed up on the beach and came back to the room, filled it, and got in...all of us.











Yes, were wearing our bathing suits...in this picture...


"BAD" DECISION #2: As we sat on the beach drinking our cold beers there was only one thing distracting us away from Barcelona and its beaches' beauty. And that was the hideous [in our educated-architecturally opinion] Frank Ghery sun shade that topped the terrace of the Hotel Arts [probably the most famous and most expensive hotel in Barcelona].

So we made the slightly inebriated decision to walk into the hotel, acting as if we were actualy guests of this fancy-smancy place. We needed to get a closer look at the monostrosity. So we did. To the terrace we went, were we found, along with the hedeous sunshade, a hot tub with three American girls [not the dolls...actual human beings] in it. We also found that a waitress would come take your drink order for one, two, or five mojitos while you sat in the hot tub. We also found that no one seemed to mind if you only wore your underwear in the hot tub. We ALSO found that the near by pool is alot closer than the restrooms. We ALSO found a wedding party on the roof top terrace. And here in lies the "bad" decision [ I know your thinking, we already made a few, but keep in mind Mr./Ms. Beholder, were just having a good time with out hurting anyone...yet]. When the oppurtunity arose for me to walk up to the wedding party on the roof top terrace of the grand Hotel Arts with the shitty Frank Ghery sun shade and its mohito serving waitress...in just my underwear...to try to get some champagne...I couldn't pass it up [could you?]. Very long story short, we got drunk on the roof top terrace of Hotel Arts and I never got any champagne.











See that wasn't so bad. Just think, now I can say I took a bubble bath with two other guys and a girl in the Hotel Ritz of Barcelona. Or, I was half naked in front of a wedding party on top of Hotel Arts. I wonder if anyone can say that along with me. I'm sure there are a few in this world...but not many.

Anyway, before you go thinking that we drank our weekend away in Barcelona, allow me to agree...no I'm only joking. Along with the drinking [which only seems like alot because of those redic stories, Mr./Ms. Beholder], we saw the Olypic Park were we got to take a cable car up a mountian to a very cool castel, which was used to defend the port city, we visited Gaudi's Park Gwell which was absolutely astounding [especially being architecture students],we also got to see Gaudi's Sagrata Fimilia, and we walked all around exploring the beautiful city. So, we did alot more than just drink, but those thing aren't as fun to tell you about.








All and all, my tip to my favorite European city [so far], Barcelona, turned out to be one of my favorite trips [so far] also. We did it up right. Hell, we paid for two plane tickets just to get there, there was no damn way I wasn't swimming in the Mediterrean or getting my picture taken infront of Park Gwell or eating a huge Nacho Grande or washing it down with a Carona...or walking up to a wedding party in just my underwear. That's just what you do in Barcelona, you have the time of your life and you follow up every drink cheers with [in your best faked Swedish accent] "I don't care if I die!"


No comments:

Post a Comment